Pages

Thursday, August 23, 2012

My Major

Computer science has been something dear to my heart since before I even really knew what it was. So, when it came time to choose something to do for the rest of my life, the obvious choice for me was computer science. I started off in middle school programming in some simple scripting languages, and I quickly moved to BASIC and its variants. I continued to hone my skills on my own all the way through high school, but I knew that a college education was going to give me the tools that I couldn't get elsewhere.
After I graduate from UTK, I plan to go to graduate school to get my master's degree; although, I'm not sure where I will go yet.
As far as employment goes, ideally, I'd like to work for Google. But, wherever I work, I'd like to work with some sort of GUI design and implementation. I also have hopes to start my own company some day, but that may be a few more years down the road.
On average, software engineers have many opportunities on the horizon with a bachelor's degree, and potentially even more with a master's. According to research done by the University of Illinois in Chicago, 27% of emerging STEM jobs will be in the field of software engineering, and in 2010, software engineer was ranked the #2 job in America. And the salaries for computing jobs reflect the demand for employees. In 2010, the average salary offered to employees that held a bachelor's degree was $47,673, but computer science majors' offers were $60,426. That's with only a bachelor's degree.
So, as you can see, not only do I enjoying computer science, but I also have a very good chance of building a promising career on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment